IWM Daily Chart
Above is a chart of the ‘s iShares Russell 2000 ETF (NYSE:). It is one of the most valuable indices as it tracks 2000 small-cap companies and therefore gives a great picture of the overall market direction.
Since the beginning of 2021 IWM has been mostly rangebound. The high of the range is around $234, while the low of the range is in the $209 area.
Thursday, IWM visited the bottom area of that range and on Friday we saw IWM clear back over its 200-Day moving average at $214.
The key was that IWM was bouncing off the bottom of its range and was offering opportunities for traders to enter at a lower price with good risk based off the recent low.
With that said, on the above chart sits a special indicator that helps confirm the market’s rally from an oversold state, but also gives caution for the coming trading weeks.
What the indicator was showing us was the percentage of stocks over 3 major moving averages. Each colored line represents popular daily moving averages.
Green = 200-DMA
Blue = 50-DMA
Magenta = 10-DMA
Because the Magenta line was showing 28.20, that means that 28.20% of stocks in the IWM index were trading over their 10-DMA. Likewise, 37% of stocks were trading over the 50-DMA.
Knowing this, in the past we can see that when the 10-DMA was trading under 25%, along with IWM’s price trading near the bottom of its range, the market bounced back.
However, here is the catch.
Most of the time the 50-DMA and the 200-DMA were showing extra strength while the 10-DMA was dipping lower. At time of writing, both major moving averages were in sharp downward curves. This may be a sign of underlying weakness in the market.
While the bounce could continue higher, we should be cautious as it might not be as strong when both the 50-DMA and 200-DMA on the indicator are sloping down.
- () Flirting with the 10-DMA at 443.29.
- Russell 2000 (IWM) Closed over the 200-DMA at 214.05.
- () Support level 347.
- () 360 new support.
- (Regional Banks) Needs to clear the 50-DMA at 64.50.
- (Semiconductors) 249.35 new support.
- (Transportation) 248.88 needs to hold.
- (Biotechnology) 164.27 support.
- (Retail) 95.37 resistance.
- Junk Bonds () 108.60 support.
- (Real Estate) 108 resistance. Support from the 50-DMA at 105.02.
- (Consumer Staples) 73.25 high to clear.
- ( Trust) 168.20 gap to fill.
- () 21.32 support area.
- (S&P Metals and Mining) 41.05 support.
- (US Fund) Needs to find support.
- (iShares 20+ Year Treasuries) Doji day.
- USD () 93.19 now support level.
- (Agriculture) 19.36 resistance. 18.55 support.
Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.